Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Treyton's First Day of Preschool

This is a child who is NOT happy. I couldn't understand it. He was looking forward to preschool ever since we went to the orientation. In fact, he was so excited that I used it as a ploy to wear big boy underwear. He did not want to wear undies even though he was going in the potty most of the time. I guess he wasn't up to the challenge until I coerced him into in. Bribed him. Manipulated him.

Oh, the scandal.

At Treyton's preschool they don't have to be potty trained, but he didn't know that. I told him he couldn't go back unless he was wearing his big boy underwear. I know it was wrong and all, but you know what....it worked! Any other moms out there can relate, I am sure.

So why the tears? A blubbering tantrum? I think I figured it out.
He was trying something new. This is how Treyton reacts to new things.
Can't say I don't blame him. I can relate. Isn't it true that those nervous feelings can inhibit all adventure in one's being? It's done that for me. Instead of throwing a tantrum, we adults deal with it in different ways. Unhealthy ways. Why not just throw the tantrum and get on with it? I think that's what I'll try next time. Sorry Bryce, you're in for a whopper.

The good news is that this was what he looked like once we arrived. His charming smile returned.

It was now that I felt like crying! My baby...my first born....being slowly pushed out of the nest. I once read that a goal of parenting is to give them roots and wings. He's not going to be with me forever. He needs to go and do what God's created him to do. I'm just thankful that I get to have a role in His plan for this boy's life.

Look at his little classroom. And his sloppy smile saying "cheese". Butterflies in each of our stomachs.

"Mom. you can leave now."

Okay. Here I go....sending him off to school. No cries for either of us. A sweet sorrow, I guess.

Now this one...she's going to be running off to school. Pushing me out the door. I couldn't even get her to leave Treyton's classroom. The second tantrum of the morning for me to deal with, and the clock hadn't quite struck 9am yet.

I decided to go home and make Rice Crispy Treats. That's something my mom did for us kids every first day of school. There's something about that sweet, simple tradition that I will always hold dear to my heart. It made the day complete.

I think I see little wings on that boy beginning to sprout....can you see um?

No comments: