Monday, April 19, 2010

Book Review- Choosing Gratitude

Honestly, I wasn’t very excited to read Choosing Gratitude by Nancy Leigh DeMoss, but I agreed to review it for Moody Publishers. Wow! Was I surprised! This book held so much more than I was expecting. Author DeMoss states that gratitude is not merely a second-tier virtue in the Christian life--it is vital. At first I was doubtful, but by the end of the book, I agreed. This “Christian gratitude” recognizes what we’ve received first and foremost from God including the blessings we receive from others. Although sometimes these blessings come disguised as problems and difficulties. This gratitude also acknowledges God as the Giver of every good gift. And finally, this gratitude expresses appreciation to Him and others for those gifts.


Several new thoughts ideas spoke to me. For example, how choosing gratitude rescues from me from runaway emotions. That gratitude has a transforming power to it. And how a grateful child of God can’t help but be a joyful, peaceful, radiant person. That’s the person I want to be.

The book concludes with a thirty day challenge. It’s a devotional guide attempting to move from theory into practice.

I highly recommend this book. It put a whole new perspective on life for me and has made me more intentional on how I live my life.

No comments: