Saturday, June 5, 2010

Book Review - What Happened to my Life


This book is really two in one. In the first half, Demeter (life coach, president and founder of Women of Purpose ministry) engages readers in an honest look at their lives. She covers topics such as expectations, time and emotional expenditures, habits, and causes of discontent. She then takes a look at how to rectify these issues through her own and other women’s personal stories.

The second half of the book is a 40 day study to help readers discover new, healthy, spiritual ways to rediscover contentment and joy.
I thought this book was pretty good. It was very self-helpish. I found myself reading quickly through many parts thinking…okay, I know this. But there were some new insights as well which I was grateful for. I liked the idea of really, truly believing God’s principles as defined in the Bible, not just knowing them. Winning the battle in one’s mind and how that relates to contentment/joy was the main message of this book which was a good reminder for me.

I have not done the entire 40 day study yet, but appreciate Demeter taking her ideas and helping readers apply them through further exercises to help her message stick.

No comments: