Saturday, April 9, 2011

Creamy Baked White Mac & Cheese

This is awesome.  I normally am not a cheese person unless it's white cheddar.  Or cheese curds at the MN state fair.  So when I saw this recipe using white cheddar, I decided to give it a try.  And being preggo, this is one of the world's most comforting comfort foods.  I ate it for breakfast this morning.

Creamy Baked White Mac & Cheese
2 C uncooked ziti, shells, or elbow macaroni  (I used whole wheat shells and only used 1-3/4 C pasta to make it creamier)
1/4 C butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 C flour
1-3/4 C milk
10 oz block of sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
paprika

Cook pasta as directed. 
Melt butter, stir in S&P.  Add flour and cook over low heat stirring constantly until smooth.  Remove from heat and add milk.  Return to burner and gradually increase heat as you stir constantly.  When mixture boils, continue to stir for 1 min. then remove from heat.  Stir in shredded cheese.  Add cheese sauce to pasta and stir thoroughly.  Bake 375 for 25 min.  Sprinkle with paprika, then bake another 5 min.  (I broiled in for a few min after this...superb!)

No comments: