Monday, July 25, 2011

Book Review - We Shall See God

We Shall See God is a collection of writings and sermons from the esteemed theologian, Charles Spurgeon.  The author, Randy Alcorn, has taken great care to translate those writings into modern English without disrupting the original meaning of the text/sermon.  Randy Alcorn then goes on to expound on Spurgeon’s thoughts with his own insights, research, applications, and inspirational ideas.

This book is absolutely fabulous!  I’ve never read Spurgeon before and found his fresh and honest thoughts on death, life, the afterlife, and heaven to be truly comforting and, dare I say, exciting.  Many of my preconceptions about heaven were changed.  And I’ve been a Christian all my life!  After reading this book I no longer feel as apprehensive about the transition from this present life to eternal life.  Alcorn did an excellent job piggy-backing on Spurgeon’s thoughts yet creating his own distinct insights.  I would consider Alcorn an expert on the subject of Heaven as is evident in his research and multiple writings on the subject.  Because of that, he was able to take the extensive sermons and writings of Spurgeon, categorize them, and organize them into small “chapters”, and make the theology easy to read and understand.  I definitely recommend this book.

I was given this book to review from Tyndale Publishing.  The opinions are all my own.  I was not paid to do this review.

No comments: