Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sweet Potato Apple Dish

One morning when Treyton was at preschool Galina did this. Notice her baby....cute! Galina doesn't stop moving very often so when she does, it's time to do something productive. Like make my favorite side dish.
It's a little piece of heaven! Remember that I am a horrible, terrible, frightening cook so when I share a recipe, it's good. And easy. Almost failure-free. So, here's the recipe:
Sweet Potato Apple Dish
  • 2 large sweet potatoes
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1/4 C sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1 apple (I always add at least 2), peeled, cored, and sliced
  • 1/8 milk...or so

FYI....I double this recipe when I make it (otherwise I would be hoarding it from my family) so all the pictures that follow are doubled.

1. Start by putting the washed sweet potatoes (skins and all) into a pot of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for until tender. The recipe says 20 min but I think it takes longer than that. Maybe cuz I keep the skins on? But the extra time with the potato skins on is SO worth it!

2. One of the greatest kitchen tools I own is my apple corer/slicer/peeler from Pampered Chef. It's the only Pampered Chef thing I've ever bought. I highly recommend. So I prep the apples and stick them in another pot with the butter, sugar, cinnamon, and allspice. Cover and simmer until the apples are tender. Maybe 10-20 minutes?
I wish you could smell that!
3. Then dump the apple mix into the sweet potato pot. Add the milk. Then get out your hand mixer and blend until smoothish.
The amount of milk you use determines how runny it becomes. Is that okay to say? Runny potatoes? Whatever. Just enjoy!
It's an awesome way to get kids to eat their veggies!

No comments: