Saturday, March 20, 2010

Book Review - Read & Share: The Story of Easter

The Story of Easter by Gwen Ellis from Tommy Nelson Publishing is a retelling of the life, death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus in a way that is simple and easy for a child to comprehend.  The text used in the book is from the International Children's Bible.  It takes the reader through the last week of Christ's life including His entrance into Jerusalem on a donkey (Palm Sunday) through His ascension into heaven. 

The book is very straightforward with a clear message.  I read it to my two and four year old who were captivated, the true test of any children's book. They'd heard the general Easter story before, but some of the details were new to them.  The illustrations helped explain the text very well and were just plain fun to look at.  As a parent, I especially liked the added questions and thoughts at the end of each segment.  It helped solidify the concepts shared in the text.  And as a bonus, there is also a short DVD included (about 15 minutes) which also has coloring pages you can print out.  Overall, I highly recommend this no-nonsense rendition of the Easter story.

I received this book from Thomas Nelson Publishers at no cost to evaluate.  The above comments are strictly my own.  I was not paid for this post.

No comments: