Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Close Call

I went to MN last week for a few days to introduce Brielle to my family.  It started out great.  The first day I was there my mom and I met my pregnant sister, Amy, and brother Brent for lunch.
Then my mom and I headed to a friend's house.  My mom and her mom are friends too.  While we were visiting, a horrible thing happened.  My dad had a heart attack - cardiac arrest.  We got the call as we were leaving the friend's neighborhood.

That's when desperation sunk in.  We didn't know how long he'd be out, what exactly happened, or if he'd ever come out.  The people at the hospital didn't either.  We weren't given much hope at all.  All we had was prayer and each other.  It was horrible. 

Preggo Amy with her son, Carter, and hubby, Jake, came over to pass the evening. 
Brielle and Carter got to play together for the first time.

We visited him several times with no responses.  We left after visiting on Sat morning, still no signs of improvement.  However, later that morning we got a call that said he squinted when a light was shined in his eyes.  A reaction!  A little later he was asked to wiggle his toes and he did.  These were excellent signs!

After lunch they called as he had opened his eyes and was asked his name to which he replied, "Don."  Praise the Lord!  We headed back to the St. Paul hospital that was treating him eager to see some life in our loved one.

Boy did we ever!


He was awake!  He was reactive.  He even knew who we were!  Praise the Lord!!!!

His short term memory was fried.  He kept asking what happened to him and didn't remember things we said.  But he was alive.

We tired him out and needed to give him some rest so we left with renewed hope.

We met on Sun back at the hospital to celebrate.  My dad hadn't any memory of us being there the previous day.  I guess short term memory loss is common in his situation. 

But he could stand, eat, and even joke around!  Here are my neice and nephew Madina and Marat.
Here's my brother Brent.  Marat and Madina are his kids.

Along with his lovely wife, June, who is meeting Brielle for the first time here.
A picture is worth a thousand words.

My dad has a signature kiss he gives me: loud, juicy, obnoxious.  He remembered and delivered!
Although he doesn't remember me being there, I will remember these moments forever.

An update:  I have spoken with him on the phone each day since I left and he is impoving every day.  Praise God! So many peope have been praying for him and our family.  Thank you if you are one of those!  His short term memory is improving, and he is now home.  He can't do stairs much and must take it easy, but everyday is progress.  What a miracle!  Even the doctors were optimistic.  He proved them wrong.  Go Father go!

Is 41:10 - So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
 
Is 40:31 - but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

No comments: