Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Black Bean Pumpkin Soup

It may sound like a strange combination, but trust me on this, it's souperb. (ha..I crack myself up sometimes)  Just make sure when you puree the beans in a food processor/blender (or in my case a Magic Bullet...love that thing!) just make sure that the top is on tight.  Not that I would know. 

Okay, so I do know. But don't laugh.  I got enough of that from my husband and children.  I even think the dog was smiling.

Black Bean Pumpkin Soup
3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, chopped (I omitted this as I hate garlic)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 cups beef broth
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree

1.Pour 2 cans of the black beans into a food processor or blender, along with the can of tomatoes. Puree until smooth. Set aside.


2.Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until the onion is softened. Stir in the bean puree, remaining can of beans, beef broth, and pumpkin puree. Mix until well blended, then simmer for about 25 minutes, or until thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.

No comments: