Friday, March 11, 2011

Review - Booga Booga Land

Booga Booga Land is a silly video which name and concept caught my attention right away.  It's a DVD series which is supposed to follow the same plots as parables from the Bible.  This particular DVD is broken into three episodes which follow the parables of the lost pearl (Squid Sushi Loses His Marbles), the soil and the seeds (Wally the Waiter), and the wedding banquet (The Flaming Monkey).  The main characters are silly animals including Marty the Monkey and Gerard the Giraffe.

I couldn't help but think of Sponge Bob Square Pants while watching the video with my kids.  Same sort of funny humor and pace of story.  But with a Christian twist, loosely.  Unfortunately, I couldn't grasp the message of the three episodes even when looking for it.  For kids, I think it would be extremely hard to learn anything from these stories.  It was a stretch, unlike Hermie and Friends, Veggie Tales, or Gigi videos.  As an adult, I love the idea of using parables and changing them to teach the same lesson but in a different way.  But this video series just didn't do that as I had expected.  But I must say, my kids did enjoy them for the silly humor, fun characters, and humorous events.

I was given this DVD from Tommy Nelson Publishers to watch and review.  All opinions are my own.  I was not paid to do this review.

No comments: