Sunday, August 12, 2012

Book Review - Food Family Style Cookbook

When it comes to the kitchen, I love easy.  And fast.  And stuff that doesn't include ingredients that I need to go shopping for.  The Food Family Style Cookbook is a book filled with recipes that are just that: easy, fast, simple and common ingredients.

Like most cookbooks, it is divided into segments.  This one includes:
~Kids in the Kitchen
~Snacks and Beverages
~Breakfast
~Sandwiches, Burgers, Pizza
~Table Talk
~Soups and Salads
~Main Dishes
~Side Dishes
~Proportion Distortion
~Desserts
~Menus for Special Occasions
~Back to Basics

As you can see there are more than just recipes in the book!  I liked the little quotes at the beginnings of each chapter too.  For example, to kick of the dessert section the author quoted Bill Cosby (who doesn't love that man?) as saying, "Dad is great.  He gives us chocolate cake."

The book is further organized by using code symbols: doubles easily, freezes well, gluten free, healthful, MOPs favorite, slow cooker, and vegetarian.  I appreciate that because I can look at a glance to find what I'm looking for within each section without having to read through the recipe.

I have dog eared and am trying recipes throughout this book.  The most recent one was for Honey Lemonade Chicken which was really good.  Perfect for hot summer days.

Honey Lemonade Chicken
6 oz lemonade or limeade concentrate, thawed
1/4 C honey
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp oil
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin (I used chicken breast tenders)

Preheat oven to 350, and spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.  To easily mix the liquids without the lemonade thickening the honey, place the baking dish with the 4 liquid ingredients in the oven while it is preheating, then remove dish and stir ingredients together.  Place chicken in dish, and turn to coat.  Bake 15-20 min, until chicken is no longer pink.  Serve over rice.

I give this cookbook a 2 thumbs up.  For busy families or just families that has a mom who doesn't want to spend any more time in the kitchen than absolutely necessary, this cookbook is a great addition.

This book was given to me to review from Revell Publishers, a division of Baker Publishing Group.  I was not paid to do this review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments: